Recovery from alcohol addiction is a process that includes key steps along the way. The first step is typically an alcohol detox program. Although detox varies from person to person, few people enter rehab without it. For this reason, the importance of alcohol detox is often stressed at addiction treatment centers in Florida.
Detox is the body’s way of cleaning out your system while going through the healing process. During detox, you may experience withdrawal symptoms that range from mild to severe. A treatment professional can provide support and guidance throughout this stage of recovery. Let’s look more closely at the importance of alcohol detox so that you understand why you should consider it.
What Happens During Detox?
If you drink excessive amounts of alcohol regularly over time, the brain and central nervous system become dependent on the substance. The dependence grows as you increase your intake. When you decide to quit using alcohol, your body goes into a reverse mode of cleansing out the toxins and starting the healing process.
While this process is good for you, it can cause a variety of withdrawal symptoms such as:
- Delirium tremens
- Feelings of anxiety, depression, or agitation
- Stomach problems that include vomiting or nausea
- Inability to sleep or sleeping too much
- Feeling jittery with chills or sweating
Severe withdrawal symptoms can include increased heart rate or high blood pressure, hallucinations, and delusional thinking. Most withdrawal symptoms are not life-threatening. For those that are, medical detox programs have medical staff on hand 24/7 to monitor your progress and provide responsive emergency medical treatment. This is a far safer solution than trying to detox on your own.
Is Professional Detox Essential?
When you consider trying to detox on your own, you may find that the importance of alcohol detox at a treatment center is something you should consider. There are several reasons for this including:
- A higher success rate. You are more likely to complete detox inside a detox center where you have medication, therapy, medical services, and supportive staff. If you attempt to detox on your own, your chances of relapse are much greater.
- Medication-assisted treatment. Medication-assisted treatment helps you manage your cravings and withdrawal symptoms. A treatment specialist can provide you the right treatment to reduce your symptoms, giving you more of a fighting chance to complete detox successfully.
- A fully licensed staff. Detox centers enlist highly qualified and trained staff that are licensed in different areas of addiction treatment. Your staff is competent to help you through the worst withdrawal symptoms, while also providing lots of support encouragement along the way. You may wonder how you ever got through detox without them.
Learn More About the Importance of Alcohol Detox
A detox center in Florida has everything you need to help you get through your first stage in recovery. Contact Summit Detox for comprehensive care backed by a caring and qualified staff. To learn more about the importance of alcohol detox, call 866.341.0638 to schedule a consultation. We can help you get clean and stay clean.