For many people, alcoholic beverages are a significant part of everyday life. Many people enjoy an occasional drink and can process it without a problem. However, for others, drinking becomes an addiction, leading to consequences for their health and welfare. Some even drink so much to suffer an alcohol overdose.
It’s possible to overdose on alcohol just as it is on any drug. An overdose involves drinking until alcohol builds up to a toxic level in your system. In the most extreme case, an alcohol overdose can lead to death. That’s why if you know a binge or problem drinker, it’s important to know the signs of alcohol overdose.
If you are worried about your drinking habits, or those of a loved one, then now is the time to get help. Seek the services of a treatment center that offers alcohol detox. At Summit Detox, we provide medical detox for all forms of substance abuse.
What to Do for an Alcohol Overdose
People behave differently when they are drunk. It may be challenging to identify when someone has crossed the line and is showing signs of an alcohol overdose. In part, that’s because of physical differences in our bodies.
Therefore, the best step to take is to get help immediately. Minutes matter during an overdose. Home remedies such as drinking coffee, a cold shower, a walk around the block are unlikely to be effective.
When you reach the authorities, try to stay calm. First responders will want to know how much the person drank and whether they took any other drugs.
You can help by placing your friend on the ground in an upright, seated position. Stay with them. You want to keep them from falling or choking on vomit.
These steps are critical once you notice the signs of an alcohol overdose.
Signs of Alcohol Overdose
Even in an inebriated state, though, there are ways to spot the warning signs of an alcohol overdose. Remember that alcohol depresses our central nervous systems. In the extreme, alcohol makes a person’s processes move more slowly.
Sometimes you can drink so much that basic functions of your central nervous system, such as your breathing and heart rate, fall to dangerous levels. Act well before that happens. Some of the other signs include:
- Confusion/mental fog
- Excessive vomiting
- Inability to remain alert
- Clammy cold skin
Without medical help, an alcohol overdose can lead to brain damage or death. Be attentive to the signs of an alcohol overdose.
Getting Treatment for an Alcohol Overdose
Once you or a loved one reaches a medical care facility, doctors will begin treatment immediately. You probably can expect to receive an intravenous solution of carbohydrates or other types of nutrition to help address potential dehydration. Overdosing of alcohol will likely result in vomiting or force doctors to pump your stomach.
If you are having trouble breathing, in extreme cases, doctors might have to insert a tracheal tube into your windpipe. You might also go through hemodialysis to remove poisons from the blood.
These steps aren’t pretty. But they might help save your life.
Seek Help for Alcohol Addiction at Summit Detox
An alcohol overdose is a frightening experience for those who go through it and those who witness it. Just as with any drug, an alcohol overdose creates a life-or-death situation that’s deeply troubling. Survivors of alcohol overdose need help through professional treatment and rehab. Summit Detox will serve as your partner in this journey by providing alcohol detox and broader medical detox services. We have dedicated our time and experience to help individuals overcome alcohol addiction. The Summit Detox team has years of experience with the detoxification process and the connections to help you complete treatment. Connect with an addiction counselor today by calling Summit Detox at 866.341.0638 to discuss your options.